Saturday, January 3, 2009

Myth Buster

Myth Buster: Some people (including myself not too long ago) believed that tallow will clog pores and cause negative skin conditions. This, however, is not really the case! Unfortunately, many consumers associate tallow soap with low-quality. I think that some consumers unfortunately associate lard and other animal fats with store bought commercial soaps that incorporate skin damaging chemicals. They don't realize that it's the synthetics damaging the skin, not the lard or tallow.

In reality, it's the harsh chemicals and additives that cause commercial soaps to clog pores and damage skin, not the tallow/lard as some people think! Instead of sticking with all vegetable oils, some soap makers use cow, deer, sheep and buffalo for soap making. Despite the negative stigma within the vegetarian and vegan communities (and even some other communities), there are some benefits of using tallow and or lard for soap making.

Tallow does a great job of giving your soap a nice rich creamy lather and good conditioning properties. Tallow will also add hardness to your bar. Although some people out there do make 100% tallow soap, I don't.

On the other side of the spectrum, some consumers really do love tallow soap and will buy bar after bar. You also have to consider that many consumers don't understand the soap making process.

I may or may not offer any soap with tallow, have I made tallow based soap? yes, I like them, I like them allot but I found with all the negative "Vibe" that I may or may not offer it to my costumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment